Juan Marcos Arellano y de Guzmán (April 25, 1888 – December 5, 1960), or Juan M. Arellano, was a Filipino architect, best known for Manila’s Metropolitan Theater (1935), Legislative Building (1926), now houses the National Museum of the Philippines), the Manila Central Post Office Building (1926), the Cebu Provincial Capitol (1937), the Bank of the Philippine Islands Cebu Main Branch (1940), and the Jones Bridge.
Juan M. Arellano was born on April 25, 1888 in Tondo Manila, Philippines to Luis C. Arellano and Bartola de Guzmán. Arellano married Naty Ocampo on May 15, 1915. They had one son, Oscar. He died at the age of 72 on December 5, 1960.
He attended the Ateneo Municipal de Manila and graduated in 1908. His first passion was painting and he trained under Lorenzo Guerrero, Toribio Antillon, and Fabian de la Rosa. However, he pursued architecture and was sent to the United States as one of the first pensionados in architecture, after Carlos Barreto, who was sent to the Drexel Institute in 1908, Antonio Toledo, who went to Ohio State, and Tomás Mapúa, who went to Cornell.
Arellano went to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in 1911 and subsequently transferred to Drexel to finish his bachelor’s degree in Architecture. He was trained in the Beaux Arts and subsequently went to work for George B. Post & Sons in New York City, where he worke
A new mall, called SM Seaside City Cebu will be one of the first developments in the master plan of SM Properties for their 304,100 sq. m. site, which stretches from the northern part of the South Road Properties (SRP) to the sea, which is set to open on the 3rd quarter of 2014. This 4-storey mall, designed by Miami-based architectural firm Arquitectonica, will have a gross floor area of 292,043 sqm, complete with an IMAX theatre, an ice skating rink, an 18-lane bowling center, and a roof garden. It is set to be the 4th largest Mall in the world. There will also be a 100m Viewing Tower which will offer panoramic views of Cebu. The proposed mall is quite a departure from the usual SM Mall designs, circular layout and more green/open areas.
And we thought SM will never get tired of their (tried and tested) monotonous boxes.
Location Vigan City, Ilocos Sur
The City of Vigan is a 5th class city in the province of Ilocos Sur, Philippines. It is the capital of the Province of Ilocos Sur.
It is a World Heritage Site in that it is one of numerous Hispanic towns in the Philippines, and is well-known for its cobblestone streets, and a unique architecture that fuses Philippine building design, and construction with European architecture.
Calle Crisologo and Vigan Heritage Village is what Vigan City is known for. It is a street lined with Spanish Era houses and cobble-stoned streets, which led to Vigan’s inscription in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Tourists can buy souvenirs or even ride a calesa (horse-drawn buggy).
The city of Vigan’s full name at the time of its Spanish foundation was “Villa Fernandina”, or “Town of Ferdinand”, in honour of Prince Ferdinand, the firstborn son of King Philip II of Spain.
As the city grew, and the seat of the Archdiocese of Nueva Segovia transferred to Vigan, it was later re-named “Ciudad Fernandina de Vigan” (“Ferdinand’s City of Vigan”).
Architect: Leandro Locsin, Ildefonso Santos, Jr.
Date Built: 1966 − 1969
Location: CCP Complex, Roxas Blvd., Pasay City, Metro Manila
Construction: 1966 – 1969
The Cultural Center of the Philippines (Filipino: Sentrong Pangkultura ng Pilipinas) or simply the CCP is located in Pasay City and the City of Manila, Metro Manila, the Philippines, and was opened in 1969 to promote and preserve Filipino arts and culture, and to become a mecca of culture and the arts in Asia. Since its opening, it has showcased the Bolshoi, Kirov, Royal Danish ballets, as well as contemporary American, French, German, and Philippine companies.
The inauguration of the CCP gave Philippine culture and the arts a home. The CCP was created by President Ferdinand Marcos in 1966 through Executive Order No. 30 with the purpose of promoting and preserving Filipino arts and culture. It was formally inaugurated on September 8, 1969, starting a three-month long inaugural festival opened by the musical Golden Salakot: Isang Dularawan, an epic portrayal of Panay Island, as its initial presentation. The Center’s formal inauguration was attended by a number of international personalities, including California Governor and Mrs. Ronald Reagan, who were representing President Richard Nixon.
Quezon City is fast becoming a center of gravity for economic developments as it works to be at par with international business standards,” says Antonino T. Aquino, President of Ayala Land Inc. “Ayala Land is investing a total of P65 billion to bring Vertis North into Quezon City to help establish the premier central business district north of Metro Manila.”
Vertis North is the city center of Quezon City. Uniquely located and masterfully planned, Vertis North unifies the city’s resources in an engine of dynamic growth. The North Triangle property on which Vertis North stands spans 45 hectares of prime land, inclusive of TriNoma. It is a location of unparalleled strategic importance, bound by EDSA, Agham Road, and North Avenue. Masterplanned by Ayala Land in a joint venture with the National Housing Authority, Vertis North is the nucleus of a uniquely entrepreneurial city.
Leandro V. Locsin (August 15, 1928 – November 15, 1994) was a Filipino architect, artist, and interior designer, known for his use of concrete, floating volume and simplistic design in his various projects. An avid collector, he was fond of modern painting and Chinese ceramics. He was proclaimed a National Artist of the Philippines for Architecture in 1990 by President Corazon C. Aquino.
Leandro V. Locsin was born on Aug 15, 1928 in Silay City, Negros Occidental, a grandson of the first governor of the province. He later studied at the De La Salle Brothers in 1935 before returning to Negros due to the Second World War. He returned to Manila to study Pre-Law, before shifting to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in Music at the University of Santo Tomas. Although he was a talented pianist, he later shifted again to Architecture, just a year before graduating. He was married to Cecilia Yulo, to which he had two children, one of whom is also an architect.
An art lover, he frequented the Philippine Art Gallery, where he met the curator, Fernando Zobel de Ayala, who recommended Locsin to the Ossorio family, who was planning to build a chapel in Negros. Unfortunately, when Frederic Ossorio left for the United States, the plans for the chapel were canceled. However, in 1955, then University of the Philippines, Diliman Catholic Chaplain, Fr. John Delaney, S.J. commissioned Locsin to design a chapel that is open and can easily accommodate 1,000 people. The Church of the Holy Sacrifice is the first round chapel in the Philippines with the altar in the middle, and the first to have a thin shell concrete dome. The floor of the church was designed by Arturo Luz, the stations of the cross by Vicente
Architect: Juan Arellano, Antonio Toledo
Date Built: 1918
Location: Padre Burgos Avenue, Manila
The Old Congress Building (also known as the Old Legislative Building) is a building located on Padre Burgos Avenue, Manila, Philippines. It is currently home of the National Art Gallery of the National Museum of the Philippines. From 1926 to 1972, and again from 1987 to 1997, the building was home to various legislative bodies of the Philippine government.
The building was originally designed by Ralph Harrington Doane and Antonio Toledo in 1918, and was intended to be the future home of the National Library of the Philippines, according to the Plan of Manila of Daniel H. Burnham. Meanwhile, a Capitol building for the Philippine Legislature (established on October 16, 1916) was to rise on Wallace Field, just south of the library (the location is now María Y. Orosa Street in Rizal Park). Instead, the Philippine Legislature decided to move into the Library building in 1926, and changes to the building’s layout were done accordingly by architect Juan M. Arellano. The building therefore became known as the Legislative Building. The Second Regular Session of the 7th Philippine Legislature was formally opened at the building on July 11, 1926. It was concurrently the headquarters of the National Library from 1928 to 1944.
Architect: Dominic Galicia, Leandro Locsin, Ildefonso Santos, Jr.
Date Built: 1968 − 2007
Location: Magallanes Village, Makati
Construction: 1968 – 2007
The Magallanes Church, also known as the Parish Church of St. Alphonsus, was built in 1968 and consumed by fire in September 2004. The church was rebuilt by Architect Dominic Galicia, preserving the concrete structure that survived the fire while adding a soaring roof that increased the height from six meters to 28 meters. With a new mezzanine, seating also increase from 300 to 900. The new structure served as a symbol of a community transforming tragedy into grace.
In 1968, Architect Leandro Locsin designed an 800-square-meter parish church that was intimate and low, with an interior that was dark. The plan was a perfect square, 28 meters each side, with a four-meter-high ceiling that was flat. The central aisle ran along the diagonal of the square. Marching along the perimeter were 28 concrete buttresses four meters tall, which were wide at the base and narrow at the top. They seemed to support a massive roof slab, which was actually a tall parapet wall that shielded the corrugated metal roof.
Thirty-five years later, it was one of the busiest churches in Metro-Manila. A 22-story college building had risen to dwarf it. Beside it, a country road had become a two-level highway. Makati had become the country’s financial capital.